EVENT DATE: July 11-13, 2023
EVENT LOCATION: UW–Stout / Menomonie, Wis.
(Registration Deadline: June 1)
The annual WECA Youth Leadership Congress (YLC) is a dynamic three-day event sponsored by Wisconsin’s electric cooperatives and facilitated by WECA. It is a unique opportunity for youth across Wisconsin to develop their leadership skills while learning the purpose, operation, and scope of cooperative businesses.
What will you do at YLC?
- See what makes the cooperative business model different and successful and apply this knowledge to fun and challenging cooperative activities.
- Work together with other youth leaders from around Wisconsin to demonstrate the power and value of cooperation.
- Identify and develop your own leadership skills.
- Learn some of the important history that has shaped today’s cooperatives.
- Discuss cooperative careers with professionals in the industry.
- Be entertained and challenged by highly acclaimed motivational speakers who understand teens and explore topics important and relevant in your life.
- Experience college life at a University of Wisconsin campus.
- For more information, go to: www.weca.coop/youth-education
A few things that make this conference different:
This is a by-teens, for-teens cooperative leadership conference. It is planned and developed by a youth board elected at the previous year’s event.
- Attendees don’t pay. They are sponsored by their local electric cooperatives.
- Students spend three days on a college campus and experience a typical college environment, complete with living in the residence halls, attending sessions throughout campus, and even experiencing a university dining service.
- Finally, attendees elected to the youth board will not only plan the next conference their way; they also have the opportunity to attend the annual National Rural Electric Cooperative Association National Youth Tour in Washington, D.C., the following June.
WHO SHOULD APPLY
- High school students with family members who belong to a Wisconsin electric cooperative.
- Students active in their school and community.
HOW TO REGISTER (registration opening soon)
- Register by June 1, 2023
2023 YLC OPPORTUNITIES
Scholarship Essay Contest
- 1st Place: $1,000
- 2nd Place: $500
- 3rd Place: $250
Wisconsin Electric Cooperative Association